These are pictures from the exhibitions we did in 2015
HARBOUR and FERRIES
St Mawes 1890
At this time there was no harbour wall and there was access to the beach opposite the Watch House for pilot gigs and customs vessels stored in the Watch House. The village was divided along the front by a boundary wall separating private quays. The wall was built to ensure that quay owners got paid for boat landings.
St Mawes 1895
Here we can see a building on The Quay, now The Bakery and Harbour Office. There is a harbour wall along Marine Parade which is now a listed building. The Ship and Castle and the St Mawes Hotel are much smaller buildings than the ones we see today.
It is low tide and The Roseland can’t land passengers in the harbour so they have to climb down into a tender to be rowed in to the harbour.
The Harbour 1920’s
The St. Mawes is pictured here in the harbour, probably in the 1920’s. There are a few houses now on Tredenham Road. There doesn’t appear to be a wall on the seaward side of the harbour and very little in the way of railings on the harbour side. What would “Health and Safety” say about that today?
The St. Gerrans in the 1960’s visiting the harbour for passengers. The harbour wallon the seaward side has the seat, the notice board and the life ring much as we see it today. More houses are now appearing on Tredenham road.
Landing from the steamer
At low tide the steam boats could not tie up in the harbour and so the passengers had to transfer to a tender outside the harbour wall as seen in the picture of The Roseland. In this picture they are being landed in the harbour. On the quay there are sacks of oysters awaiting loading. I notice there is what looks like a swan to the right of the boat. Not much changes!!!
A cargo boat in the Harbour, possibly the Regina delivering road stone. The Regina skipper was Jimmy Garland. The Ship and Castle has been rebuilt and has its entrance facing the harbour. The building to the left of the hotel was the waiting room for ferry passengers. The S S Alexandra is arriving at the harbour.
In this picture a cargo boat is unloading goods to a horse drawn cart. The gentlemen’s toilet is built against the bend in the harbour wall, this was demolished, probably in the 1990’s, this is where the new Harbour office is now situated. The piles of sacks stacked against the distant building are probably oysters awaiting loading.
Originally the ferries from Falmouth continued from St Mawes up the Percuil river, landing where the Percuilboatyard is nowThey continued their journey to Gerrans and Portscatho on the horse drawn” Percuil Express”. The cost of this journey was 4d (11/2p) in the 1930’s.
Cargo was also delivered by boat because it was easier than travelling on land. Here coal is being offloaded at Purcuil onto horse drawn carts. The trolley in the foreground was used when passenger boats arrived to bridge the gap between the boat and the shore so passengers could alight without getting wet feet! The sacks in the background contain oysters for loading.
William was for many years the Captain of the St Mawes and continued to travel on the boat for many years. He is pictured here at 96 and achieved 100 years in 1925. Many of his descendants still live in the village.