Buildings around The Square in St. Mawes
Built around 1650 it is the oldest house in the village today. Over the years it has been a fisherman’s store, a place where pilchards were stored and smoked which required the floors to slope towards the front door. Early in the 1900’s it was Granny Greens sweet shop. In the last 100 years it has been a family home to the Greens, Andrews, Millers and now the Salters. The cottage was thatched but caught fire from a spark from a traction engine. The new roof was made higher to give more headroom.
The Idle Rocks Hotel
This photo was taken about 1890. Note the battlemented wall and the steps down onto the beach. Part of the building was originally a bake house and before that a bark house where new rope was soaked in water with the bark from trees. This preserved the rope.
Manor House Hill 1890
Looking down at the Idle Rocks Hotel from The Manor House, at the time when it was used as a bake house.The cottage on the left is now flats and the one below it, Hillside Cottage, still remains. It is the oldest cottage in the village today. The cottages on the right have also been pulled down and replaced with a garden, Bohella Bank.
The Idle Rocks has now got an additional floor and the boathouse has become part of the hotel, lthough the slipway remains.
In the early part of the war the hotel was requisitioned and used to house evacuees from London.
In the later part of the war it housed American Officers.
Looking up Manor House Hill
This picture, probably taken in the 1920’s, shows Madeline Andrew standing outside Hillside Cottage carrying a milk pail. The upstairs room of the building with the balcony was used during the war as a jail for offending American soldiers. The building above Hillside was demolished to make way for parking for The Idle Rocks Hotel.
The Manor House
This was originally a Hotel built about 1910. The grand porch was added later in 1930. The hotel was owned and run by the Tiddy Family and they also ran their estate agency business from the premises and still do today.You can see the estate agents board above the name plate. An extra storey was added more recently in about 1970. The house is now made into flats.
In the 30’s Mr&Mrs Roberts lived here.
During the second world war Mr Melville Albert Chester owned the smaller building where he repaired and sold shoes to the American soldiers billeted in the village. The leather came from Croggans Tannery at Grampound. After the war Mr Chester turned the building into an electrical shop selling the first televisions on the Roseland and beyond. In the 60’s Chris Mitchelland mother Lucy ran a general store here selling groceries and the smaller building became a dairy.
The Rising Sun
The original Rising Sun was the cottage on the right in this picture. It stood at the bottom of Hillhead and you can just see the pub sign on the wall. At the other side of the road were some fisherman’s cottages which were pulled down and the space is nowThe Parish Council’s Bohella Bank which is a garden.
The Watch House on the left has no harbour wall and was used by customsand coast guard service. The gap in the harbour wall allowed the quick launch of their rowing boat which was stored in the building and came out through the large door on the left of the building. Three cottages stand where the Rising Sun now stands.
Rising Sun 1930’s
Now the three cottages and the old buildings at the bottom of Hillheadhave been demolished. The new Rising Sun was built by Mr Walter Hicks, founder of St Austell Brewery who lived at Halwartha.
Before the 2nd world war an extension was added to the pub to double its size. Mrs Marshall and her husband Campbell were tenants at the pub from the 40’s for about 50 years. She was said to be very strict but generous with her staff. Everyone call her “Momma”.
St Mawes Band 1
This photograph was taken during or soon after the second world war. The players are left to right 1 John Austin, 2 MalcolmHitchins, 3 Horace Preston, 4 Freddy Marlow, 5 Neil Kittow, 6 Ronnie Harris, 7 Ronnie Tiddythe conductor.They are standing at the entrance to what is now the car park. The smaller porch type building was one part public toilets and the other the carpark attendant’s office.
The large galvanised building on the left of the picture was variously used as the fire station, the village hall and later was owned by Mr Hartley Moseley owner of the Idle Rocks and The Ship and Castle Hotels who lived at Braganza. He used it as a store room. During the second world war it was used as the NAAFI by American forces. It caught fire in the late 70’s and was replaced by the Beach Hall flats and The Arcade of shops you see here today.
The Watch House
This building was originally built as a lifeboat station but never used as one. It became a watch house the Preventitive Water Guard Service, formed in 1802 to link up with Customs off shore and riding officers on shore to prevent smuggling. Th admiralty took control in 1822 and it was renamed Coastguards. In 1945/6 DR Dyson held his surgery here and in 1947 Dr Coulson occupied these premises. The building on the left was called Beach Hall, a private house.